Meeting of Tuesday, June 16, 2009
By Sid Riley
By Sid Riley
At Tuesday morning’s regular meeting of the Jackson County Board of Commissioners, the following actions were taken:
● Recognized retiring EMT Wayne Cherry after 25 years of service.
● Discussed proposal made by Jim Dean, Marianna City Manager, relating to joint maintenance of work needed on Old Campbellton Road. County agreed to work with city, but would not consider taking continuing responsibility for the road. Also listened to complaints from Mrs. Nancy Hearn, regarding encroachment on her property by this road.
● Reappointed Kathy Milton to Chipola Regional Workforce Development Board
● Approved grant application for construction of new Fire Station at Marianna Industrial Park, from grant program for this purpose.
● Accepted Railroad Reimbursement Agreement with DOT for maintenance of railroad crossings.
● Approved allowing Florida Natural Areas Inventory to visit all county barrow pits to conduct survey of pest vegetation. Cogon Grass is an invasive plant which is under a discovery and eradication program.
● Approved advertising for bids for three STIMULUS program sidewalk construction projects. These are on River Forest Road, Caverns Road from Bales Road to High School, and on US 90 from Green Street to Madison Street. Comments were made relating to high administrative and inspection costs related to use of these funding projects, involving over 72 forms. Bids must use prevailing union wages for labor costs, and can not be bid at lower wages levels in order to win contract.
● Approved grant application for Reading Companion IBM Web-based Literacy Grant Program, made by Library Director.
● Approved revised Purchasing Manual prepared by Stanley Hascher, Purchasing Agent for Jackson County.
● Approved settlement of suit between Jackson County and county employee, Amanda Burgess, over wages lost due to errors in job classifications. Settlement provides payment of $4,828 in back wages and $1,010 to retirement fund on her behalf.
● Approved bid awards to R & R Construction and Webb Construction for jobs under Weatherization of Homes program. Discussed inspection and bidding processes with Pamela Prichard, Administrative Services Director, and with Mr. Rushin of R&R Construction. Procedures used in our county comply with procedures used in several other counties engaging in this program.
● Approved bidding acceptance for ambulance remount for Fire and Rescue.
● Approved replacement of three ambulance radio’s fro $28,641.
● Approved bid acceptance of $15,977 for radio system for new Emergency Operations Center.
● Refused request for free space for counseling program by Apostle Mary Johnson.
● Approved allowing right of way clearance by private citizen on Elizabeth Lane in Alford.
● Approved use of Farmer’s Market pavilion by church group for youth event on Saturday, July 25, 6-9 PM. Elder James Bighem requesting.
● Discussed repayment of utility fees to City of Marianna for FPU payment errors over past six years related to Family Dollar Distribution Center. Commissioner Lockey requested verification of amount of funds involved.