Visit our website by clicking on our logo!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rattlesnake Score= 1, Thumb Score= 0

May 22, 2008

Meadowview Estates Resident Meets Unwelcome Visitor
By Sid Riley
Last week local resident Larry McKeithan who operates the Caverns Golf Course and lives in Meadowview Estates just outside of Marianna, had a visitor in his back yard. Larry was picking up debris that was in a depression in his back yard when he was bitten by a rattlesnake hidden in the leaves. "I see rattlesnakes frequently as I work on the grounds at the golf course", stated McKeithan, "but this one was closer than I wanted him to be. He surprised me.
Larry was able to jerk his hand back as he saw the snake striking, thus escaping one of the fangs. However, the other fang penetrated his thumb.
"Within two minutes I was nauseated and broke out in a cold sweat. The pain was the worse pain I have ever experienced. I would have welcomed taking a hammer and slamming my thumb just to make it feel better", McKeithan continued.
He traveled to the emergency room where ER doctor Griffin provided immediate treatment, followed quickly by help from Dr. Steven Spence. They administered anti-venom that was in stock, along with pain relievers and antibiotics. Larry had to remain in the hospital for two days because of the bite.
"I guess if he had gotten me with both fangs it would have been twice as bad", says McKeithan. "That would have been unbearable. I want to caution everyone to be careful, the snakes are really active now that warm weather is here. Believe me, you do not want to experience a rattlesnake bite."

No comments: